Premium Wide Plank Care & Maintenance
Our Premium Wide Plank Countertops are made with hand selected, high-quality hardwoods, measuring 5"-12" in width. Planks run the entire length of the countertop with no butt joints. When selecting boards, only seven percent of the tree is used to ensure that there will be no knots or sapwood and that the color and grain are consistent throughout the top. Each Premium Wide Plank Countertop receives our signature hand-rubbed Marine Oil Finish.
Premium Wide Plank Care:
- Our Premium line comes with a permanent Marine Oil Finish; no recoating is necessary.
- Premium Wide Plank tops require no maintenance to stay water and stain proof.
- To keep your top looking great, a bottle of Weiman’s Furniture Cream (an all natural product) is supplied to you upon delivery. (Note: this product contains Walnut and Almond oils).
- Apply Weiman’s once a week for the first four weeks, and once a month thereafter; buff with a clean, dry cloth to maintain the luster of the finish. Your top will look great and last for many years if properly polished.
- Lemon Pledge is a suitable substitute for Weiman’s Cream.
- Polishing can also minimize and seal minor scratches.
- We recommend that any cutting and chopping be done on a separate cutting board.
- Wood tops respond to temperature and humidity and will change shape somewhat with the seasons. Slight misalignments of boards and cracks may appear seasonally – this is normal.
- Your countertop will arrive with a very perfect and perhaps glossy finish. This is intended to dull down with use. The top will develop a patina; this creates the “personality” of your countertop and is to be enjoyed as a unique finish.
- The finish on your countertop may have a slight whitish haze when seen in reflected light, which is caused by the hand rubbing done by our craftsmen.
- A certain amount of checking (small cracking at the end grain) is normal for solid-wood countertops.
- If you have an undermount sink, we suggest that you apply Linseed Oil or Tung Oil to the wood rim seasonally to prevent water from entering under dings or cuts that may have occurred.
Warranty for Wood Countertops:
- All Wood and Butcher Block countertops have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Brooks Custom will repair or replace, at their option, any product determined to be faulty due to manufacturing defects.
- Products not installed by Brooks Custom must be returned to the Brooks Custom showroom.
- Incidental work or adjacent materials are not included in warranty coverage. This is standard in most of the home improvement industry.
- All shipped wood countertops must be removed from their crates within 30 days of delivery. Any claims for shipping damage must be made within that time.
Reporting Service Calls:
Please feel free to contact or call us for technical or service advice before tackling significant problems with your countertop.
If you need to report a problem or need service advice, please follow this procedure to help us understand the nature of your problem:
- Please provide photos to illustrate the nature and size of your problem.
- First, place a quarter next to each problem area as a scale reference.
- Next, take a wide-angle photo that shows the entire countertop.
- Then, take a close-up photo of each problem area (showing the quarter in each close-up).
- Email photos to email@example.com. After the photos are received, our Service Department will reply back with resolution options.