End Grain Care and Maintenance
End Grain countertops are traditional Butcher Blocks; their cut-and-chop surfaces are perfect for food preparation. Wood countertops are sanitary products, with inherent properties to prevent bacterial build-up. Your End Grain countertops are constructed from random wood members and may display a variety of grain patterns and colors. Over time, your top will develop a unique pattern of use based on your cutting and chopping habits.
End Grain Care:
- End Grain Countertops gain and lose moisture easily and react to their environment. A certain amount of checking and cracking is normal in this type of worktop.
- Apply Brooks Custom's Butcher Block Dressing Oil 30 days after delivery/installation.
- Re-Oil the wood top seasonally, or once every three months.
- Daily cleaning can be done using Windex, mild soap and water, or can be disinfected using Clorox.
- Cracking and splitting is a natural occurrence of end grain wood and is to be expected due to drying and movement of the wood. This is especially common on very thick butcher blocks and countertops.
End Grain Maintenance:
- Proper oiling is very important; these tops will dry quickly and must be maintained. For this, you have been provided with a bottle of Brooks Custom’s Butcher Block Dressing Oil.
- How to oil your countertop:
- Pour a liberal amount of oil onto your countertop and let soak for 20 minutes.
- Remove excess oil with a paper towel and buff.
- Cupping or bowing of your wood top is caused by a moisture imbalance; contact us for assistance if this occurs.
- Your top can be re-sanded and oiled if ever needed.
WARNING: Fire Marshall’s Advice:
- Dispose of all oily rags properly. Immerse oily rags in water until saturated. Place the wet oily rags in a ziplock bag and place them in a suitable trash container outside of the home. Do not allow oil or oiled surfaces to come in contact with heat or hot surfaces exceeding 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Warranty for Wood Countertops:
- All Wood and Butcher Block Countertops have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Brooks Custom will repair or replace, at their option, any product determined to be faulty due to manufacturing defects.
- All products not installed by Brooks Custom must be returned to the Brooks Custom showroom.
- Incidental work or adjacent materials are not included in warranty coverage. This is standard for most of the home improvement industry.
- End Grain and Edge Grain Chopping Block require frequent oiling. Brooks Custom will not warranty against cracking, checking, splitting, or warping due to dryness.
- To remain water and stain resistant, End Grain and Edge Grain Chopping Block require regular application of Butcher Block Dressing Oil.
- The size and shape of wood countertops may change slightly due to environmental conditions such as heat and humidity.
- All shipped wood countertops must be removed from their crates within 30 days of delivery. Any claim for shipping damage must be made within that time.
Reporting Service Issues:
Please feel free to contact or call us for technical or service advice before tackling significant problems with your countertop.
If you need to report a problem or need service advice, please follow this procedure to help us understand the nature of your problem:
- Please provide photos to illustrate the nature and size of your problem.
- First, place a quarter next to each problem area as a scale reference.
- Next, take a wide-angle photo that shows the entire countertop.
- Then, take a close-up photo of each problem area (showing the quarter in each close-up).
- Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. After the photos are received, our Service Department will reply back with resolution options.