Edge Grain Care & Maintenance
Edge Grain countertops are constructed of random wood members and may display a variety of grain patterns and colors; this is normal. There is no specific finish on the natural wood surface. Your countertop has been sealed and oiled, which allows you to do food prep and chop directly on the surface. The oils are food grade and safe for consumption. Chopping directly on the surface will create a “pattern of use” that is part of the look for this type of wood worktop.
Care & Maintenance
Edge Grain Care:
- Edge Grain countertops require regular oiling to keep them in stable condition and to prevent cracking and splitting.
- Oil the countertop 30 days after delivery/installation.
- Re-Oil the top seasonally, or once every three months.
- Undue drying or lack of oiling will cause dramatic cracking and checking. No warranty is in effect for this condition.
- Daily cleaning can be done with Windex, Clorox, or soap and water.
- You have been provided a bottle of Brooks Butcher Block dressing oil.
- How to oil your countertop:
- Apply a liberal amount of oil on the wood countertop.
- Let the oil sit on the surface for 30 minutes, and then absorb excess with a paper towel.
- Your top may be totally re-sanded and oiled if ever needed.
WARNING: Fire Marshall’s Advice:
- Dispose of all oily rags properly. Immerse oily rags in water until saturated. Place the wet oily rags in a zip lock bag and place them in a suitable trash container outside of the home. Do not allow oil or oiled surfaces to come in contact with heat or hot surfaces exceeding 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
Warranty for Wood Countertops:
- All Wood and Butcher Block Countertops have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Brooks Custom will repair or replace, at their option, any product determined to be faulty due to manufacturing defects.
- All products not installed by Brooks Custom must be returned to the Brooks Custom showroom.
- Incidental work or adjacent materials are not included in warranty coverage. This is standard for most of the home improvement industry.
- End Grain and Edge Grain Chopping Block require frequent oiling. Brooks Custom will not warranty against cracking, checking, splitting, or warping due to dryness.
- To remain water and stain resistant, End Grain and Edge Grain Chopping Block require regular application of Butcher Block Dressing Oil.
- The size and shape of wood countertops may change slightly due to environmental conditions such as heat and humidity.
- All shipped wood countertops must be removed from their crates within 30 days of delivery. Any claim for shipping damage must be made within that time.
Please feel free to contact or call us for technical or service advice before tackling significant edge grain care problems.
Reporting Service Issues:
If you need to report a problem or need service advice, please:
- First, place a quarter next to each problem area as a scale reference.
- Next, take a wide-angle photo that shows the entire countertop.
- Then, take a close-up photo of each problem area (showing the quarter in each close-up).
- Email photos to firstname.lastname@example.org. After the photos are received, our Service Department will reply back with resolution options.