LIVE EDGE WOOD FAQs
What Kind of Woods are Available?
Most live edge wood products are made from domestic wood species. Brooks Custom’s owner, Richard Brooks, personally travels the east coast to hand-select live edge slabs from trusted wood suppliers. The most commonly requested slabs walnut, maples, oak, and cherry.
What Can I Expect?
Live edge tops are very low maintenance. As with all wood products, you can expect some seasonal acclimation and movement in the wood. This is normal and will not affect the structure of the top.
Is Your Online Inventory Up to Date?
We try to keep our online inventory as current as possible. We do, however, advise that you confirm that your choice is available before making any design decisions. It is strongly recommended that you pay a visit to our showroom, if possible, to get a tour of our full inventory and select the wood slab or slabs that will work best for your project.
I’m looking for a wood slab you don’t have in stock; do you do special orders?
Yes. We can shop for slabs that meet the specific needs of your or your clients’ project. Richard Brooks will source wood from our suppliers and will forward photos for approval. We require a 50% deposit of your order before the slabs are purchased. These orders require some additional lead time due to the lead time of getting the wood delivered to our shop.
What is the Ordering Process?
After you get an idea of the wood you’re looking for, we will prepare an estimate based on the dimensions and details you provide. To begin your order, we require a 50% deposit and we will then either schedule a template or draw up shop drawings based on your dimensions. Live edge tops typically take about four (4) weeks in production.
Can I add a Stain?
Yes, live edge tops can be stained with any of our standard wood stains or with a custom color match. We also offer other finish options including cerused and gray washes.
What are other Design Options Available?
There are several ways that you can customize your live edge top. We can add resin filler to the cracks in the wood or add butterfly inlays to stabilize and flatten the surface. We can also design live edge products in custom shapes and layout options.
What Warranty Do you Offer?
- All wood and live edge products have a Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Brooks Custom will repair or replace, at their option, any product determined to be faulty due to manufacturing defects.
- Products not installed by Brooks Custom must be returned to the Brooks Custom showroom.
- Incidental work or adjacent materials are not included in warranty coverage. This is standard in most of the home-improvement industry.
- All shipped wood countertops must be removed from their crates within 30 days of delivery. Any claims for shipping damage must be made within that time.
- Sales are final on all finished products left in our showroom for over 90 days.